Where we start this life isn't the same place. Another week "in jail" and I can assure you that any thought or assumption that you have "that we all started this life in the same place" is wrong. I'll explain. My heart just about breaks each week I hear another story of one of my friends in jail. How their personal trials started when they were young, too young to know better, or at least to know the consequences. Often negatively influenced by the very family and friends that surrounded them. They made the same mistake that many of us have made - we succumb to a seemingly minor temptation. But for them and for some of us, it only takes once to become addicted. Maybe its genes, maybe its environmental but the fact is that little mistake for them loomed much larger than it did for most of us.
Here is the point. Don't judge anyone for where they are in life and what they have compared to where you are in life and what you have. You may need to make a judgement about people based upon your personal safety but don't make a moral judgement. Because you don't know the facts, and we didn't all start this journey in the same place.
The real question is, "am I giving in proportion to what I have received?" In other words, "where much is given, much is required." For most of us, living in the US, surrounded by the love of good families, with good churches and moral teachings, there is a whole lot more that we should be doing. At least that is the judgement I have placed upon myself - I need to do more to help. I want to do more to help.
I want so much to help these people who have fallen to the addiction of drugs and alcohol. My prayer is for the Lord to show me how I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My sister, Amy, and I were just talking about this today on the phone. She was telling me a little bit about some of her ward members in St. Louis (that city you like so much), and how they did not at ALL start where she "started"...in a loving and secure home, in America, in the gospel, with a roof over their heads.
(one of the reasons I struggle with Republican ideology).
I too am seeing the sadness that alcohol and drug addiction brings to individuals and families. Two of my good friends families are being torn apart by their little brother's addictions. I believe in rehabilitation though... my cousin Jesse just got out of prison and is coming to visit at Christmas. He's paying the price, working a construction job for little money compared to what he made selling... but he says he doesn't miss the addiction. They have him on probation for a few years and I hope he stays clean. Thanks for your blog!
"True happiness comes only by making others happy." -Pres David O McKay
Its amazing as we TRY to help people the happiness it brings to our own lives. I've seen that in you and mom lately with your mission. Although it may be hard to help to make them "happy" you are doing so much by showing these people that have little support that even a stranger cares for them! I am so grateful for the lessons you continue to teach me as my dad and as a man of God! You serve anyone, anywhere no matter where they may be in life or where their start may be.
could maybe post somethin new daddy? :)
Post a Comment