Thursday, October 23, 2008

50!


So what do you do when you have lived 50 years? Buy a Harley? A red convertible? Grow a beard and chase wild women? I thought about it and decided to do none of these things.

I asked myself, "Self, where do you want to be standing on your 50th birthday?" Cannon Beach? JackAss Pass (wind rivers)? or Delicate Arch? Delicate Arch was the place I wanted to stand, today. Fortunately, its only about 4 hours away.

Delicate Arch is magical for Debbie and I. About 20 years ago we went and stood on the side of the sandstone bowl, amazed at such an incredible site. The day we returned home to Park City from that trip we received the call to come "pick up" your new daughter. We named her Carson Jeanne. Five years later, while living in Portland Oregon, we took another trip to Arches and stood under Delicate Arch. The day we returned home, we received the call to come "pick up" your new son. We named him Ashton John.

I told this story to my sister, last night, and she said, "what are you going to get this time?"

Fifty is a good time to say, "thank you." I want to especially say "thank you" to the biological mothers of Carson and AJ, who for nine months carried them in their wombs and then on the day they were born gave them to us. We have never received a greater gift. Thank you, wherever you are. God bless you. In the eternities, I pray that we can all be together.

Thank you to all of my friends and family. Thank you for your forgiveness, long suffering, patience and love.

Thank you Debbie .

I love you all!

4 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I didn't make it to your house in time this morning before you left. But your gift will be waiting for you when you get home (I let myself in with the hidden key :)

Thanks for letting us be there with your family to celebrate such a monumental occasion. We love your family and we love you!

Heidi Hamilton said...

Happy Birthday from the Hamiltons! 50 - wow - you don't seem that old!

Burton Fam said...

yes he does!!! ha ha he's my dad of course he's old! just kiddin'. he's definitely one of the biggest kids at heart ever! love ya dad! :)

Elleny said...

I've never heard that story, that's way rad! You have the greatest family, I'm so happy to know you. Happy Birthday!!!