Last night, Debbie and I attended and coordinated our first 12 step class in about 4 weeks. Including ourselves, seven people attended. The class, though just like many others, renewed my desire to sound an empathetic and sympathetic voice for those who suffer from addiction of all kinds.
I am reminded that we don't understand addiction very well. We don't understand how and why a few people have a greater predilection to substance abuse than most of us. Once addicted, these people are powerless to stop their addiction by themselves. They need help. Which help best comes in the form of patience, love and examples of how good living can be without alchohol or drugs. Help does not come in the form of condemnation and judgement.
We all have our own mountains to climb our own crosses to bear... but not alone, not without each other. I love you Tracie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you guys are so incredible to do all that you do. there are many questions i'll want answers to when i die: addiction is one of them. it's hard to understand. and it's so sad.
tracie loves you too
Post a Comment