"Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits , multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever, will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life." Ezra Taft Benson
This quote comes from the book, "A Guide to Addiction Recovery and Healing." It is found in the 12th, and last step, on service. I have read it many times in class with our friends. Recently, reading it again, I asked, "how can we turn over our lives over to God?" What does that really mean? What behaviours and actions does it require? Come on...its a nice quote and I want all of these promises, but how do I actually do it? How will I know that I have turned my life over to him?
I wake up in the morning and I pray, "God, I am turning my life over to you, today." I stand, and go about my day trying to be "good" and do the right things, as I have been taught. Is that turning my life over to God?
Maybe it is trying a little harder to "do what is right." Not just while I am at church or around my church friends. Maybe its trying a little harder to worship God by always remembering him at work, at home and while I am in the community.
Honestly, I am not quite sure how you go about this "turning your life over to God." I am going to try to find out. I will let you know.
2 comments:
I've wondered this myself. I've had the exact same thoughts. What exactly does it mean?? I guess that's when the spirit comes into play. It can be so hard to know sometimes.
For me, I think I know the answer, but it's also where I'm stuck. It's giving up control. I've been so programmed and convinced that I need things to be a certain way in order to be happy. I may go to any length to meet this standard. But, to give up being the one in control, and instead TRUSTING in Him that I will be o.k. and find happiness His way, without this strict expectation, and letting Him take the wheel. Living with this spontaneity and being selfless, would take the burden from me for always falling short of meeting an impossible standard. This freedom is what must come before I can obtain what Pres. Benson speaks of. How I can get there, is where I'm stuck.
Post a Comment